Being a fashion and interior designer and thriving on all things beautiful, a Zen-like restorative retreat is my ultimate necessity. Here are 15 simple steps to create the most beautiful, comfortable and restful bedroom:
Start with Optimal Furniture Placement:
- Center the head of your bed on the largest bedroom wall. For best Feng Shui energy, place the head of your bed facing north.
- If you don’t have a headboard, place 2 European square pillows upright at the head of the bed. If you have a king sized bed, use 3 of these European 24”X24” square pillows. Make sure to use beautiful matching shams for this bed center-piece.
- If your bedroom is small, skip the footboard. This will soften the room. You may opt for this look even if you have a larger bedroom.
- Instead of a footboard place a pretty upholstered bench across the foot of the bed for drama and seated comfort. Make sure to coordinate the color of the bench to your rugs or other seating in the room.
- Place matching lamps (or at least matching lampshades on these two lamps) at each side of the bed. If space allows, place them on matching bedside tables. If you are short of space on bedside table tops, attach matching swing-arm lamps to the wall at each side of the bed.
- Avoid placement of all things distracting to restful sleep: work-desks, computers and televisions. Your bedroom should be a place only for the three “R’s”: romance, reading, and rest.
Accent your Zen Bedroom Retreat with the Right Accessories:
- Use your framed art as your bedroom focal point. If there is ample space on the wall above your headboard, place either a cluster of artwork (keep the frames the same finish, and the artwork of similar color stories or technique) or a large painting or mirror above the headboard to create your bedroom’s focal point.
- Keep your bedside tables clutter-free for a Zen-like mood. A boutique tissue box inside a pretty cover and an alarm clock may be all you need.
- Calm the body and mind by adding aromatherapy to your bedroom, be it color coordinated scented candles or a reed diffuser of essential oils.
Select the Best Bedding:
- Use the highest quality bedding available. Schweitzer Linen has a stunning assortment of high-end bedding, from the necessities of mattress pads to the finishing touch of bed-skirts, to fine long staple cotton sheets, cotton or cashmere blankets to the most important bedroom accessories of comforters and quilts with coordinating accent pillows and cashmere throws. Selecting the right bedding is the most important decision you will make in creating a stunning bedroom.
- Learn how to make a bed!
- Start with a Dust Ruffle (or Bed-Skirt):
For a tailored look, use a pleated or flat Dust Ruffle (or Bed Skirt) Schweitzer Linen has a classic cotton pique style called Tailored Pleat Dust Ruffle. For a soft or more traditional look, use a gathered Dust Ruffle, like Ruffle Pique. (Some modern beds like platforms or sleigh beds won’t require bed-skirts.)
- Your next step is applying a soft mattress pad. Schweitzer Linen has a Silk Jersey mattress pad as well as Goose Down mattress pad for the ultimate in luxury and comfort.
- The final steps are applying the fitted and then flat sheet. Make sure that when the top flat sheet is folded back away from the pillows, the printed or embroidered surface on this folded back portion of the top sheet is revealed. (The coverlet or blanket will hide most of the reverse side of the top sheet.) Amazingly many people misunderstand which surface of the top sheet should be up!
- Always buy 3 sets of bedding for each bed. One will be in the wash, one on the bed, and one in the closet awaiting use. In addition to ensuring that clean and well cared for linens are at your fingertips, you will lengthen the lifecycle of your fine bedding.
- Refresh your bedding seasonally to coordinate with changes in weather and to periodically update and transform the mood of your bedroom paradise:
- For cool summer bedding use cotton textured blankets like Schweitzer Linen’s Canasta. Try modern color contrast border accented sheets, such as Fellini, or romantic floral printed and embroidered sheets like Orchids. If your preference is for pristine white bedding with tailored pull-stitching enjoy the bliss of Trafalgar Square.
- For winter bedding opt for loftier down comforters, like Dynasty Down and cotton sateen sheets with soft cashmere blankets.
For ultimate luxury use velvet and silk bedding called Soho Loft.
Add a cashmere throw to the foot of the bed to warm your winter bedroom. Schweitzer Linen has a luxury cashmere blanket called St. Moritz and a stripe-accented throw called Portofino which are spectacularly soft and provide beautiful accents to the sumptuous bed.
Complete your Zen Retreat by Softening Floors and Windows:
- To comfort your toes add a duo of bedside runner rugs that coordinate with your bedroom color story.
- Block out the moonlight, starry skies and streetlights with window coverings. If you are a total black-out sleeper, use lined curtains. Otherwise use wall-softening textured sheer curtains over shades. Lumiere and Royal Crest, both sheer voile curtains from Schweitzer Linen, have elegant textures and high end details. If you opt for curtains make sure they are free from radiators and air conditioners. Your curtain pull-backs and rods can be color coordinated to match other finishes in your bedroom to complete the last details in creating your perfect Zen-like retreat.
Rest Well in your Bedroom Paradise!